10 Steps To Take Following A Connecticut Truck Accident
Commercial truck accidents involving passenger vehicles usually cause severe injuries because of the size and weight of the trucks. Accident victims are often unsure about what to do next. Should they go to the hospital, call the police or grab their smartphone and take pictures of their vehicle?
The attorneys at McEnery Price Messey & Sullivan know that your actions right after the accident can make or break your recovery and your long term outcome. Below are some steps you can take to protect yourself.
- Get to a medical professional. Whether it’s the emergency department, urgent care center, or your primary care provider, it is extremely important that you get seen to address and document any injuries.
- Get to safety. If you can, move yourself and your vehicle to safety. Use flares or other signals to notify drivers there was an accident.
- Report it. If you are ever in a truck accident, call the police. An officer will come and document the scene and write a police report which is helpful in determining liability.
- Gather information. Ask the other driver their name, insurance information, who their employer is, and who owns the load they are pulling.
- Talk to witnesses. If there were witnesses, talk to them and get their contact information.
- Photos. Use your phone to take photos of the scene. Signs, signals, vehicles, etc. can all be helpful. It is better to have too many pictures than not enough.
- Take notes. Take a few moments to write down what you remember happening.
- Continue treatment. Make sure you are following your doctor’s treatment plan.
- Don’t leave the scene. You should never leave the scene of an accident until police or medical help arrives.
- Call an experienced attorney. The lawyers at McEnery Price Messey & Sullivan are experienced in handling cases like this. Our team can help protect your long term interests.