Five Steps To Avoid A Bicycle Accident At Night
As the weather starts to warm this spring it can be tempting to venture out on your bicycle, even after the sun has set to enjoy some outdoor time. Not surprisingly incidents of bicycle accidents have a tendency to increase after dark.
If you believe you’ll be doing a lot of bicycling at night there are certain steps you can take to prevent an accident, even at night.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention wearing reflective clothing can help bicyclists become more visible both during the day and evening hours.
- Add reflective stickers to your helmet so that traffic can more readily see you.
- Install turn signals just below your bicycle seat as hand signals will not be visible at night.
- Know the rules of the road. Following the rules of the road at anytime of the day is crucial to preventing a bicycle accident and particularly at night.
- Ride together. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration recommends safety in numbers. Riders who cycle in groups are much more likely to be seen and avoid fatal injuries.
Riding a bicycle at night increases your risk of incident, but following the steps above help prevent bicycle accidents.
If you or a loved one has experienced a bicycle accident injury be sure to contact an experienced and knowledgeable personal injury attorney to help you protect your long term interests.