Hospitals Should Focus on Preventing Patient Falls
A few weeks ago the Joint Commission issued an alert focused on patient falls in health care facilities. Older and frail patients are not the only ones susceptible to falls. Medical conditions, surgeries, procedures, treatments, testing, and/or medications can leave patients weakened.
In order to prevent falls in a healthcare facility, use the following guidelines to avoid a new or further injury:
- Use handrails, bedrails, shower rails, etc.
- Wear the slipper socks provided to you by the hospital.
- If the hospital staff is helping you get out of bed, let them.
- When in bed, make sure the bedrails are up.
- Follow your treatment plan for movement.
The attorneys at McEnery Price Messey & Sullivan hope you have a safe hospital stay, but if you do fall and question whether the staff or hospital was negligent, call our office immediately.