Shocking Dog Bite Injury Statistics
Dog bites can leave extremely serious (and even fatal) injuries to victims. Connecticut dog bite law is strict liability; this means that the owner is responsible for the dog’s actions unless the victim is trespassing or tormenting the dog. Dogbite.org compiled these staggering dog bite statistics:
- In 2012, 27,000 people underwent reconstructive surgery as a result of dog bite injuries.
- A 2010 study shows that there were four times as many emergency room visits from dog bites in rural areas over urban areas.
- The average cost of a hospital stay from a dog bite injury is 50% higher (just over $18,000) than any other hospital stay, a 2010 study shows.
- Dog bites are the fifth highest reason children are treated in the emergency room.
- Over one-third of all fatal dog bite victims were either visiting with or living temporarily with the dog’s owner, according to a 2013 study.
If you or a loved one were injured as the result of a dog bite or other animal bite, contact our office immediately. We will begin an immediate investigation into your case.